Fried Pepper Jack Cheese
Made popular by "Hot Dog on a Stick" in mall food courts across the country, breaded & fried cheese sticks are a delicious high-calorie snack.
- Pepper Jack Cheese - 16 oz. package
- Egg - 2 large, beaten
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Bread Crumbs - 1 1/2 cup
- Garlic Salt - 1/2 teaspoons
- Oregano - 1/2 teaspoon
- Basil - 1/2 teaspoon
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Corn Starch - 1/2 cup
- Wood Skewers
- Heat the vegetable oil to 350˚F for deep-frying the cheese. If your cheese is in a brick, slice it thick and cut the cheese crossways to make bars of cheese (this is what will be breaded and fried on your skewers).
- Beat the eggs with water in a small bowl and set aside. Mix the bread crumbs, garlic salt, and spices in a small bowl. Set it aside. Mix the flour and corn starch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place a skewer into each bar of cheese, leaving at least two inches for a handle. Dip the cheese in the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture, then coat it in the bread crumbs.
- Place each cheese stick carefully in the hot oil and fry until golden. This takes a few seconds, so watch it carefully. When golden, remove from the hot oil and drain.
- Serve with fresh homemade corn dogs.